Re: New Teacher

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 08:40:16 PDT

Don't fret, Steven, you'll love it once school begins. Best thing I did at
the beginning was to try to learn the kids names (over 750). I asked them
to sit in the same seats each time so I could have a seating chart handy.
Also, I find that if the kids are not sitting directly facing each other
across a table, the more they'll concentrate on their work (and the less
they'll talk with each other). See what table arrangements you can devise
to allow for smooth operations....
Begin with simple lesson plans -- you don't have to wow them every time with
award winning lessons -- elementary kids love everything! Silly things like
drawing what they would look like if they were food, or lessons involving
drawing simple objects like toys or playground designs, or op art for the
older kids are usually crowd pleasers. They'll be interested enough in you,
as a new teacher, so you can do simpler lessons and work on your
organization and classroom procedures. And the big word I think about,
especially with the K-2's is Consistency. If they know what to expect
there'll be fewer discipline problems. Good luck, and try the archive
search of artsednet -- lots of wonderful advice has been shared through the
years.
Liz in rural NY
menichino@infoblvd.net