Re: Eric Carle

---------

From: Rodney (rboville_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 06:21:47 PDT

There is a great video out called "Eric Carle: The Picture Writer". He goes
through his process of creating beautiful papers step-by-step for the
children. It is marvelous.--He paints directly on the tissue paper. Then
designs, cuts, and glues to the white drawing paper.
Class 1:
 The children love the video which they see prior to making their papers. I
have the children take an 18" x 24" piece of white drawing paper and fold it
into fouths. They paint solid backgrounds on in four different colors. I do
this at 1st grade, but have done it at 2nd and 3rd.
Class 2:
Then they go from paint station to paint station to dab, print, spray,
drip............copying his techniques of applying the paint. When the
papers dry, I stack drawing boards on them for a week and they come out
wonderfully flat and ready for the children to work with. They are simply
awed by the finished papers and sometimes do not want to cut their
"beautiful papers" for the collage. They each have 4 beautiful papers when
they cut the large paper apart.
Class 3 and.....
Create collage. The children trade pieces of their paper for others, I also
keep a big box of scraps from other classes, so they have a huge selection
of original papers. And again upon completion I just stack the drawing
boards on top of them for a week to flatten for display.--Barabara in Green
Bay

---