Re: first days of school activities

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 19:50:41 PDT

I took a workshop this summer called "The Art of Learning" - the first day
while the instructor was going over the schedule he had us all color in a
square appx. 3" large. It was obvious to us all that the square was part of
a larger picture but we had no idea what. Anyways, we were given colored
pencils and markers and told to "finish" our square. It sure made the "first
day" stuff go by quick. The next day when we went in our squares were put
together into a larger picture - in this case it was the design created for
our workshop. I plan to do this with my classes. I'll draw a large contour
line drawing of a famous reproduction (I'm thinking of either VanGogh or
Miro) and cut it into squares. If you do this be sure and number them! I
feel like I really need to go over the course expectations and rules, but it
is soooooooo boring to us all. Some doodling can really add a spark.
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

<SNIP> What activities do you all do the first few days of school? Do you
have any icebreakers that you like? Any icebreakers involving art? I want
to do some art activities to get them jazzed for the year but also allow me
to get to know them better- short ones (2 hrs. or less). Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated!

---