Re: first days of school activities

---------

Iteachart7_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 19:03:39 PDT

In a message dated 8/3/2002 6:45:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mmolnar1@msn.com writes:

> What activities do you all do the first few days of school? Do you have
> any icebreakers that you like? Any icebreakers involving art? I want to
> do some art activities to get them

Hi,
i give a test the first day of school! Yes, a test! totally catches them
off guard. I have two, one for my intro class which askes questions from
labelling a color wheel to do they know how to squeeze out a sponge. My
studio classes get a review type test. lots of formula questions, how-tos and
class proceedural questions, safety questions... It helps me set the tone for
the next few days-what I have to review , what to start with first and it
also tells me how much they retained form previous years. the next wo days
are spent goign over class procedures, handing out text books, syllabus AND I
make everyone show me that they can squeeze out a sponge and wipe down a
table! I am always amazed at how many kids don't do this at home.
Peace
Gabrielle

---