Re: kinders!

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 18:50:59 PDT

Congrats on your new K-5 position! I absolutely love that age level.
They're so enthusiastic! And ya get lots of hugs.
I find visual aids help with classroom management -- like being able to
point to a picture that says "Shhh!" and ask only "Are you doing this?" For
some weird reason, that always gets their attention! And I made a sign I'll
put into play as the school year wears on and I'm not satisfied that the
little ones (K-2) are really towing the line -- It's laminated and has three
sections -- Sit, Be Quiet and Follow Directions. Each section has separate
little shapes that are also laminated -- for ex, Sit has 6 green circles, Be
Quiet has 6 purple triangles, etc. If they are not doing one of those
things I'll move the shapes down to the "You Forgot" section at the bottom.
(there's that putty stuff on the back of the shapes). It's usually enough
for me to just head in the direction of the sign, but if I do have to move a
shape down it's quite obvious that I'm disappointed with their behavior.
Just seeing it in front of them seems to add importance to my words. If 3
shapes go down they'll get heads down, quiet time.
For supply people, above each of the four places at their tables is a
picture by a famous artist (I'm able to hang pics over their seats -- no
alarms go off at our school!) Each week a different artist is the supply
person, so for example, the kid sitting under "Van Gogh" is the supply
person.
For end of class line-up I ask closure questions that they have to answer in
order to be able to line up. Oh, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I do
keep a jar of skittles handy for those times when I catch a table being
really good.
Liz in rural NY
menichino@infoblvd.net