Re: Art 1: HELP!...WHERE TO BEGIN!

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 17:49:29 PDT

JT,

I know your pain. I was there 17 years ago myself. Some
suggestions here and you use them as you feel comfortable.

1. Ask this list anytime you have a question about something, we
are all here to help, we are your cyber co-art teacher
next door.
2. Teach elements and principle first.
3. I then went a little into critques.
4. Start with small projects, build up.
5. As far as order, we usually do 2D then on to 3D. This
however has and can be modified.
6. Don't panic, if you made it through the first year, you are
fine.
7. Have high expectations.

As stated earlier, was there, no classroom experience, taught
emergency certification, walked into the classroom with no sink,
no shelves, no textbooks, no budget, no support of the subject,
and no curriculum. As you build a curriculum, my first believe
of what a curriculum is: what the students should know by the
end of each semester. Then from there build your lessons.
Getting a text book, even if for yourself only is a great
beginning.

Jackie Aust
Director of Visual Art (K-12)
Bryan Texas