Making musical instruments for Cave Art

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 12:06:20 PDT

I do a unit on cave painting with 1st graders. Does anyone have any idea what kind of instrument(s) could be made that might be considered "authentic" for that time period? I've never seen any reference to musical instruments during the ice age, if anyone has I'd appreciate the info! I was thinking I'd have the 5th graders make the instruments for the 1st graders to use (because the 5th graders will be having some extra art time for a little bit right after lunch this year -- what can we do for 15 minutes!!!). I was thinking it'd be neat to record a musical performance using these instruments as well to play as background music for the lesson, since I usually like to have something appropriate playing in the background....
Any thoughts?
Thanks --
Liz in rural NY
menichino@infoblvd.net