Re: feathers

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 08:51:32 PDT

linda eastman wrote:
> but the most "colorful" link with many interesting
> factoids was http://www.pagan-home.com/instructions/warn.html

Funny-sounding group, kinda like the SCA, maybe? This page isn't real
accurate; there's a lot of editorial comment thrown in. This passage
especially:

      Keep in mind, also, that it is only illegal to own the feathers.
It is NOT
      illegal to kill the bird in question. Which means, incidentally,
that you can
      shoot ALL THE EAGLES YOU WANT - not that you or I or anyone would.
      But it is perfectly legal to kill them. It's just illegal to touch
the carcass.

Federal law prevents the killing of bald eagles as well as being in
possession of their feathers or other body parts. The exception for
possession is for legitimate Indian tribes who need them for their
rituals (we have two hanging above our front door at school). Even they
cannot kill the eagles themselves; they must request feathers from a
repository in Idaho.

There are numerous state and federal laws regarding the possession of
feathers, including raptors, songbirds, and migratory species. To Gail,
who originally inquired: For your legal and health safety, and the
health safety of your students, I would highly recommend purchasing
cleaned feathers from reputable suppliers.

Maggie

---