Re: Feathers for art classes

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 17:32:45 PDT

on 8/3/02 12:19 PM, Gail1611@aol.com at Gail1611@aol.com wrote:

> Especially for Native American projects , I like to use real feathers.

there was a discussion about this on the list 4-5 yrs ago in which it was
pointed out that it was (is?) illegal to use found feathers in works of art.
perhaps this does not pertain to sea gulls unless they are an endangered
species of gull. it is definitely true of songbirds, even cardinals and blue
jays. there was a story in the paper at the time about an artist whose work
was confiscated from the Ann Arbor art fair by the DNR because it contained
feathers. sorry to rain on your parade but you probably ought to check with
the appropriate authorities before using the found feathers. it's for this
reason that i buy feathers.

linda in michigan

---