Wang Yani & kdg ideas

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 19:34:26 PDT

Here are two sites for Wnag Yani, I haven't found anything current on
her..
http://www.myhero.com/hero.asp?hero=w_yani

http://www.gardenofpraise.com/art20.htm

On the first day with Kindies I did a new thing that I got from someone
on the list last year. We talk about what the word art means, when they
say , "coloring ", I say yes we may color and I show them all the
crayons I have, same with paint, markers, clay etc... That way they see
a lot of materials that they'll be using eventually. I make a big deal
of writing my name on the board (its 13 letters long) and they help
name the letters. Then I give them a piece of copy paper that I have
ready with , a sentence like, Today we went to the art room and saw
lots of materials that we will use. Here is the teacher Mrs.
Hollingsworth. Then I have a frame drawn on the paper. I pose for them
and they draw me with pencils or black markers inside the frame. I have
their aide make copies for me so they can take the original home and I
have one for their folders. Usually I always have a book on hand for
kinders (to read aloud) because they finish at such different times.
    Then the for the next several weeks I have them work on an art book.
Each page is a 12 x18 piece of white construction ( I give the teachers
the pages before they come to class and the aide has their name on the
paper before they come in because so many of them can't write legibly
and they can't spell it for me to write it either)
    First page of the book is the cover and they draw themselves coming
to school. We talk about what the building looks like , how they got
here, who waved good bye etc.. how they can draw all those things with
shape ( use crayons)
    Second week- next page we do the primary colors and they use crayons
, learn the primary color song, etc..read a book about colors
    Third week is shapes and we do cutting and gluing- I have pre-cut 3
inch squares and I show them how to cut it in half to make two
triangles, cut it in half the other way to make rectangles, cut off the
corners to make a circle, etc...
    Fourth week -lines (all different kinds-straight,zigzag,
swirls,etc..) and we learn about using markers-always put the lid on
etc.
    Fifth week-patterns -they glue precut shapes (r,y, b so we can
review the primary colors) on a swuiggly line they draw w/ marker so it
looks like they are making a necklace. Use markers to draw lines on the
"beads"
    By this time I usually have a high school student helper who goes
into the kdg rooms during their center times and use our book binding
machine w/ the kids and they make their own book with the pages. I send
a letter home with the books explaining what they learned while they
were doing each page. Its a good way to introduce them to materials and
procedures in the room and teach some basics. The I join in with the
classroom on what ever letter they are on. They learn a letter each week
and I fit my lesson in with their letter. Like on "P" week we paint
poinsettias and use the hole punch to punch yellow circles to put in the
middles.
        Hope this gives you some ideas-we already have two days of
school done! (workdays!)
         Jeryl in SC

---