World Summit on Sustainable Developement

---------

From: The Colliers (atla_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 09:52:23 PDT

Hi all

it has been a long time since I have had the time to write to you all.
Some of you may be aware that the next Earth Summit is due to be held in Johannesburg, South Africa in August and September. This is a follow up to the Rio summit of 1992. Are any of you planning any lessons around this? A wonderful opportunity for some environmental awareness to be integrated into art education.

regards

tracey in Durban, South Africa

PS You all complain about art on a cart and such things. here is a true story to top the lot:
A couple of weeks ago i was teaching in the Mapumulo District. This is a deep rural area in the beautiful hills of Zululand. We were doing papier-mache. As the weather was miserable we dashed outside and left our bowls in the bit of sun that there was to dry. We went inside the draughty community hall to carry on with another part of the course I was presenting. When we went back to check how the bowls were doing, we discovered that the local farmer's goats had eaten most of them. I think i would prefer art on a cart!

---