Re: kinders!

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 20:04:44 PDT

on 8/2/02 10:04 PM, Christine at cdsmiles99@mindspring.com wrote:

> Any more tips for maybe your favorite lessons or classroom management
> ideas? Do you use any incentive program?

when i had my first observation as an art teacher, i was having the kinders
make terra cotta clay gingerbread men for a holiday gift. (pretty
easy...roll out the clay, cut w/ a cookie cutter, make a hole w/ a straw at
top, press in marks for eyes, etc.) but it IS a challenge to get 25 or 30
5-yr-olds to get this all done in one period (unless you have roller skates
for getting around the room - LOL). anyway, i was cruising, and the kids
were working hard and the next thing i knew, the principal had put down her
clipboard and was going around to the tables talking to the kids and giving
a helping hand when needed. i didn't know WHAT to think about that!!
afterward, during our conference, she said "where was the parapro?" i said
something like "huh?" turns out, according to our contract, the paras are
supposed to come to art with the kids. for some reason they had stopped and
were doing other jobs for the kdg teacher or whatever. from that day on i
have had a para coming with every kdg class which has been a real boon. we
can get so much more done with their assistance. SOOOO, if you have parapros
in kdg, you might want to check out whether they are bound contractually to
come with the kids or else request that they do. mine have been
indispensible. you might have to train them somewhat (so they don't do the
kids work for them, etc.) but it would be worth it. another option would be
to round up some parents as regular art helpers. my kdg teachers always do
this for me when we are doing a particularly involved project, but you could
also send a note home or have a sign up at open house. i would be wary of
signing any up permanently until you make sure they are true helpers (as
opposed to the ones who shadow their own kid and do their project for them -
those are like poison!)
that's my 2 cents -
linda from michigan

---