Awards/Management (was "kinders!")

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 07:25:53 PDT

Congrats on the new job! I don't know whose brain you're wanting to pick,
but one thing I do with the little ones is to copy off a bunch of "awards".
These are simple little awards that say things like "You were super creative
today!" or "You're an Art Star!" I write the names of each student on them
(so I can make sure they all get one) and at the end of class, when EVEYONE
has cleaned up I pass out two awards to deserving students. It is amazing
what those little pieces of paper can do for classroom management! The real
trick is to catch some of them "being good"! *L* Another thing I do is to
color code yogurt cups. I then give each student a popsicle stick to color
with a coordinating marker and to write their name with sharpie on them. I
put these into the yogurt cup and then draw for helpers. It allows me to
make sure everyone gets a turn and costs me minimal work for setup. I'm
anxious to see what everyone else does.
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Any more tips for maybe your favorite lessons or classroom management
> ideas? Do you use any incentive program?
> You seem like a wealth of info and would love to "pick your brain"!
>
> Christine :)

---