Re: kinders!

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 07:00:41 PDT

My first day with kinders I have copy paper with the poem:
Look at me
as busy as a bee
on my first day of school
at _____________ elementary!
Above this poem we draw a simple bee. I only give them yellow and black
crayons. The first 9 weeks are tough cause you're not only trying to teach
them about art but basic school rules (stay in your seat, raise your hand,
don't just leave the room, line up, ...... ). I study alot of illustrators
with them - Marc Brown, Eric Carle, Jim Henson (was he an illustrator???). I
find I get alot more response drawing what they know - Clifford, Big Bird,
etc. I have an adorable cut paper project on Cookie Monster - I'll take
some pictures and post them when I get back to school along with the exact
paper measurements (I cut the paper to size to save time and paper).

I have several kinders lesons posted on my site. I am glad we have this
thread cause I also struggle with ideas for them - they go through projects
so quickly!
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

---