Re: First Five Minutes of Class

---------

From: Karen Chilman (ChilArt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 08:58:35 PDT

The first day I explain that they are to do their "Think ART" question that is located on the board as soon as they come in. This question is either one that is a precursor to introduce a lesson, a review question, or sometimes an art question that I don't have time to teach but want them to know a bit about.
I grade them sporadically; sometimes on a Tuesday or sometimes on Friday...whenever I have an extra 10 minutes...that also assures that they do them daily (middle school) instead of getting them from their friends each grade day. Each question is worth a point, so around thirty points each grading period. They are required to make them up if they miss a day...or they don't get the points.
I have found since doing this, class starts much more smoothly...even after greeting kids at the door.