First Five Minutes of Class

---------

From: ||LogoHouse.com|| (gosborne_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 21:06:04 PDT

>> Is this a common practice among Art Teachers and what are some of the ideas for an Art Teacher?<<

I put up a daily question each class period. The questions are review of topics covered in class, concepts, theory etc, sometimes a fun question or school related question.
I teach Video Production/TV studio production, so I have the questions related to TV/Film...Current movies etc. The H.S. kids like the variety of questions.
For the most part, I give them the answer after a brief discussion. It's a good daily ice breaker of sorts also. I also make them write the answer in a complete sentence, so I have them writing something every class period....
I even have Daily Question amnesty days. No question and if your on time, a free 5 points. Kids like that too...

The kids get 5 points for each question daily, if they are tardy for class, they DO NOT get the 5 points, period.
Since TV is a time sensitive business, I stress they need to be on time also...Everyone expects the news to start at the same time everyday...as do I expect them to be in class, on time, everyday....
It is a great motivator to keep kids on time and has an impact on their grades come quarter/semester if they are constantly tardy...

It works....Very well.

Gary O.
www.erhstv.com

---