Re: First Five Minutes of Class-Joe

---------

KSchiavo00_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 20:13:13 PDT

In a message dated 08/01/2002 8:35:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bjcoxteachart@msn.com writes:

> What about late students and students who are absent; are they allowed to
> make the work up?

Joe
         For me- all students are required to make up the work unless of
course there are extreme circumstances such as a death in the family. I do
give out grades and if they don't hand in the project- it goes down as a zero.
         In middle school- I use the first 5-10 min (while other students are
working on their sketchbooks) to talk to those students who missed my class
and explain the assignment to them. However they are required to make up that
time they missed either during their lunch or after school.
         In HS- the students are responsible for missing assignments. They
must be responsible enough to come to to me and ask me what they missed
either -after class, after lunch, or after school. I explain to them that I
will not seek them out. Also, I do not require HS students to make up time
in my class however I am available to help them either during my lunch or
after school. This approach seems to weed out the people who are serious
about art and those who just don't care.
         Since this year I will be at the HS for most of the day and end at
the middle school- I will have to set up a schedule of AFTER SCHOOL studios
perhaps Mon & Tues at the MS and Wed, Thurs, Fri (art/yearbook) at the HS.
Hmmmmmm, another note to myself.
Kathy in Kalamazoo

---