Re: First Five Minutes of Class

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 19:27:38 PDT

> sharon@art-rageous.net wrote:
>
> <<I've never had a problem with the first 5 minutes of class. I greet
> each kid at the door when they walk in and encourage them to go get
> their work out. >>
>
> That's the way things are in my classroom, too, once they've gotten in
> to a project. Most of the times kids are at their places and working
> before the bell rings.
>
> Of course when there's a new project being introduced, they need to
> come in and be seated to wait for instructions.

My routine is just like Sharon's and San D's. I tried doing those
"sponge" (?) activities for a few days, but I realized it was going to
be a chore: 1) coming up with a different activity each day; 2) waiting
for slow pokes or the inspirationally-challenged to finish; 3) giving
each one of those things some sort of mark in the gradebook each
day--they expect some sort of grade. I would much rather get them
started immediately on their assignment.

Maggie

---