Re: Art 1: HELP!...WHERE TO BEGIN!

---------

From: M. Dodge (4boys_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 18:42:26 PDT

Don't be too scared. I was in your place two years ago and I love my job. I
started with the basics. I used the elements and principles of design as my
outline for Art 1. First lesson was on line. Start with discussion and
questions.What is a line. How many can you make. Are there lines in nature.
Work up to a project. Follow-up with an informal or formal critique, or peer
assessment. Davis Publications has some great resources. Include art
careers, or art history to make real world connections. My students demanded
variety. We used pencils, colored pencils, pastels, clay, paper mache,
acrylic paint, watercolors, scratchboard, collage materials.

---