Re: kinders!

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 06:41:34 PDT

on 8/2/02 6:24 AM, Susan Holland at Susan_Holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu
wrote:

> Can we start a thread on lessons for kinders?

i use this one every year to start them on painting and it is always a hit
with kids, teachers, parents. it takes three 45 minute periods.

1st day i demonstrate basic tempera painting skills; holding the brush,
dipping in paint, brush techniques, rinsing, where the drying rack is
located and how to use it. what we paint is circles and i give them an egg
carton lid with brown paint at one end and green at the other, and a 1"
brush. we also use large white paper... 18x24. they can experiment with the
colors, mix if they want to on their paper. i give them just enough time to
paint 3-6 circles of different sizes, then we model/practice clean-up
routine.

2nd day i bring in sunflowers and we have a little science lesson examining
the parts of the sunflower especially focusing on the shapes and colors of
the petals, stems and leaves. a quick review of procedure and then we turn
our circles into sunflowers by adding yellow ovals around the circles - i
put lots of yellow paint in the lids this time. as soon as one table is done
with their petals. i get out an empty green paint bottle and say "uh oh!
what'll we do now?" someone usually says to mix up some green and of course
i have some red and blue handy and we have a little experiment to see if one
of those will work with the left over yellow. as the kids finish their
petals i give them a squirt of blue and they get to work on the stems and
leaves. usually they have just about enough time to finish the stems and a
few leaves and then clean up.

3rd day. same painting procedure but now we use blue tempera on one end of
the lid and white on the other - mix on the paper to make sky/clouds all
around the spaces that are left. after clean up i allow some time to look
at/discuss some sunflower paintings by other artists...van gogh of course,
and georgia o'kkeefe, and a couple of others i have from calendars.

these pictures are always so exciting and painterly, teachers in my
buildings ask when they're going to be done, and younger siblings want to
know if they can do one like their older brother or sister did, etc.

linda in michigan

---