Re: need advice re slides to photos

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 15:33:52 PDT

> The office co-ordinator gave me a box of the silicone you use to dry flowers with. I have been saving the tubes film comes in
> and have been thinking about putting a little in each tube, and punching two or three holes in each one and then putting a tube at
> the back of each drawer in the file cabinet to help with the humidity issue in our Visual Resource center. Has anyone had any
> experience with silicone (it looks like crystals) and would my idea work? Appreciate any comments!

Susan,

This stuff is _silica_ (not silicone). It is indeed used to reduce the
moisture content in all sorts of packages. It's available from Light
Impressions in canisters that change color when they've absorbed too
much moisture and need to be de-humidified in the oven.

Your idea sounds good in theory, but my experience with the
flower-drying type is that it's very powdery; I'd be wary of the powder
settling on the materials, and being handled/breathed by children (okay,
teachers shouldn't handle/breathe the stuff either!). Try it in an
unused area first, maybe lay out some black roll paper, and see if the
powder gets on it after a month or so.

Maggie

---