Re: Native American Unit

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 08:25:26 PDT

Kimberly Herbert wrote:

> I am looking for information books or websites on the Navajo, Apache, > Iroquois, and Nez Perce cultures > (5th 7th grade reading levels) <snip>
> My reasoning is it is better to look at four real individual cultures, than to look at broad families of > cultures because that tends towards stereotypes even with the best of intentions.

Hi, Kimberly,

I'm so glad someone is finally focusing on real tribes and not just
"Native Americans," as if they're a single culture. As you know, I live
on the White Mountain Apache rez in east central AZ. They used to have
a Web site, and so did the school district, but I don't know if they're
still up and running. I'll check. The real Ft. Apache is here, also,
so they might be a good contact.

Maggie

---