Re: How to folder/portfolio

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 05:54:03 PDT

In a message dated 07/31/2002 8:05:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mrsbeeswax@aol.com writes:

> How many students do you teach ?
> How many pieces do you keep in their portfolio each year ?
> Do you send these on to middle school ?
> Do you cut down 12/18 paper in order to fit it in this 24/36 half folder ?
> Do you include Photos of 3D work ?

I teach approx. 450 K-5. K-2 kids have more, usually about 10-12 pieces.
3-5 have about 6-8. Each year they take home their portfolios at the end- in
June. When I want to mount pieces, I cut down the paper on which they will
be working by an inch all around to allow for room to mount and to fit the
finished mounted piece in the portfolio. Very large pieces are kept together
in a folder (I love to work big- 15"x18", 20"x24") and put that work in the
portfolio in June, right before it goes home. In this case, I roll the work
with a rubber band. This year I got notes, however, from parents who
requested I not roll up the large work because they wanted to professionally
frame it. In these cases the parents arranged to pick up the work
personally. Throughout the year all the 3-d projects, clay, papier mache,
etc. are sent home as they are finished and/or displayed.

I keep all the finished work in folders and start delegating the work to the
porfolios in June. I have no choice but to do it this way because I don't
have enough space to keep filled portfolios stored in my room. What a job
these portfolios are to coordinate! I complained to my principal that it was
too much for me to do this portfolio business in addition to the art program.
 So, this year she hired an aide put the portfolios together! Bless her
heart, although she thinks at this point if we stopped the portfolios the
parents would complain- they seem to love the idea. It has become the
highlight for the end of the year!
Susan on Long Island

---