Re: Middle School teachers!!

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 20:00:33 PDT

My first thought was - electives aren't that bad. BUT, reading further - I
would fight tooth and nail to keep from being opposite band and music.
First, parents have spent $500 + on a musical instrument and will insist
that little Johnny play that instrument - therefore band is on pretty safe
ground. Music is safe as well - it is well supported in most schools, you
get out of school for contests, etc, and almost all students (where I'm from
anyways) have had music since Kindergarten. A huge majority of schools still
do not have art in elementary. If this is true in your case then you are the
new kid on the block. Art is regarded as "fun" or "too hard" (read "I can't
draw, so I'm not taking art").

I teach middle school on a 12 week rotation and I love it. It is a required
course for all 7th and 8th graders. Students take my class seriously as my
grade affects whether they get to play sports that week or not. If you are
going to be an elective then you need to give the students an option of
taking your course 2 different times (at least). That's my 2cents. Good
luck!
~Michal

> I'm putting out a plea to middle school teachers ( or any teachers) again
(
> gosh was it something I said, or where you all on vacation?) Very soon I
will
> be in a heavy debate with our administration and teachers whether we
should
> have the "specials" go to electives. Currently all 6th,7th and 8th graders
get
> art every year. Their focus is on the doing electives for the 8th grade.
The
> music department really wants this so they force kids to decide between
Honors
> Art and Band or Chorus. Where do I begin?? Should I fight to keep art for
all
> 8th graders? Maybe electives aren't so bad? ...I never worked under that
> set-up before. Do I gather all the resources I can find to support all
8th gr
> having art? And what about that music dept.? I've only heard form Patti
and
> Judy N when I posted a couple of weeks ago? Any thoughts appreciated. I
want
> to be prepared when I meet with everyone.

---