Re: Middle School teachers!!

---------

From: Betty Bowen (aunthoppy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 16:57:47 PDT

Mary,
I think you'll be ok with art being an elective, but...just be sure they
get to take art all year, not just one semester, and if you are forced to
only let them do it a semester, be very certain they don't mix the grades
together (which means you won't be able to do anything sequential like art
1 and art 2, you have to something totally different every semester)

If they insist on the one semester elective thing, be sure the students'
2nd semester alternatives are courses that are attractive to students. I
only get the 7th and 8th graders who want home ec and tech ed (which,
while we have excellent teachers, are subjects that currently don't
attract highly motivated students), but not band, chorus, speech which are
all-year and generally not accellerated math or science (which meet the
same hours as my 7 & 8 grade classes). You run the risk of becoming a
"dumper" class as I am (my 2nd year here).

I hope you'll let us know what happens

---