Re: [ArtsEducators] How Many Male Teachers ?(long post)

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 04:17:46 PDT

Sal,
        When some students asked me once about the low pay for
teachers, I made one of my silly comments. I said that Frani had
a "real" job and she would take care of me. One of the black girls
replied, "Well, I'm never going to support any man." That sort of
pointed out to me the opinion she had of male adults from her
attitude. It brought back to me a conversation I had in a racially
mixed political group 25 years ago. We were discussing ways to
increase the active role of women in society and politics. By the
way I'm a white liberal. John spoke up (black male) and said he
couldn't support any efforts to increase the role of black females.
He said, "It his community it was more important to rebuilt the
role of the man, because of the dominant role of black women
already." This is sad, but when I began teaching in the inner city,
(my own neighborhood) it became apparent that this single parent
family and negative attitude toward men was across the color line.
My students can not believe that any man has stayed married to
the same woman for 38 years. I know that I'm generalizing too
much, there are many exceptions. I have students whose parents
went to school with my own kids and got married right after high
school and are still together.
                                                        Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail