Re: kachina dolls

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 19:25:26 PDT

Jillart1@aol.com wrote:

> I spoke with some Tribal Elders from the Denver Indian Council last year and
> I was told that they prefer that non-native people do not recreate Kachinas
> because they are so sacred.

Good point: In the 2-D work I had students use the Kachina as a source
for the
design but tried to maintain accuracy. In the 3-D, I had them create
their own
idea of what their own original kachina might look like with a made up legend.
                                                                        Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com