Re: kachina dolls

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 15:09:26 PDT

Brenda,
        I don't have a simple lesson involving Kachina's but I have
taken my own kachina dolls to school for a sequence of lessons.
1st: Drawing from observation
        http://www.taospaint.com/LessonDrawObservation.html
2nd: We did drypoint prints from plastic plates and collograph prints
        http://www.taospaint.com/StudentArt2000b.html
3rd: Finally we made paper mache kachinas on wire armatures
                        (sorry no photos)
There are lots of books out there on Kachinas and the Hopi beliefs.
It is a very complex topic so don't try to do more than touch on the
subject. Keep in the students minds that this is a religion with many
sacred and secret ways. They should approach it respectfully.
My work shown was done by 8th graders. This year I think we will
do storytellers out of clay.
                                                        Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail