Re:national advertisement for art

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 04:41:50 PDT

Regarding the catch phrases promoting art education in school, "Art as the
4th 'R'" is still the one that I find to be most effective. The phrase was
coined by Dr. Jason Ohler, Director of Technology Education at Alaska
University Southeast. He published an article containing this concept last
fall in Educational Leadership. Here are some points that I bulleted from
that article that I shared with art educators during Youth Art Month last
spring:

Literacy Includes Art - Points for Inclusion of Art for Literacy in K-12
Education:

Our multimedia environment requires students to think and communicate as
    artists.

The language of art has become the next literacy - the 4th ŒRı.

Art skills supply access to employment opportunities.

Multimedia technology acts as assistive technology for the Œartistically
challengedı.

Art needs to be included in the common experience of school for all
students.

Those who do not create art for a living will use it, manage it, interpret
it, or interact with it in ways that simply did not exist 10 years ago.

Schooling in the arts develops different symbol systems, expanding a
studentıs ability to connect with a rich array of resources within and
outside of school.

A relationship exists between being active in the arts and improving
cognitive functions measured in standard curricular areas.

The arts are motivational and are inducements to attending school and being
receptive to learning.

No better way exists to understand and experience the diversity and
commonality of humanity.

Art improves attitudes towards self, citizenship and community.

Art builds personal growth in a variety of areas from motor-skill
development to the development of teamwork.

 - From Jason Ohlerıs article, ³Art Becomes the Fourth R², as printed in the
October 2000 issue of Educational Leadership.

Kevan Nitzberg
Fine Arts Facilitator
Anoka-Hennepin School District
MN.