Re: Discipline Site - back online

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 13:43:52 PDT

> Subject: Re: Discipline Site - back online

> I guess everything needs a detailed web site now, even discipline.
> But I think this is a bit much, telling me the steps to solve a behavior
> problem. I copied the following from the web site.
>
> 1. Identify causes of misbehavior.
> 2. Pinpoint student needs being revealed.
> 3. Employ specific methods, procedures, and
> techniques at
> school and at home for getting the child to modify or
> change his/her behavior.

I have to agree with Woody on this site. Seems a little ludicrous to me to
identify all the behaviors that could be conveniently lumped into "bad."
We as certified, professional, educated teachers are well aware of the
intricacies of behavior. And, part of our skill, is making a determination
as to the what behaviors are a simple "acting out" as compared to something
much more deep seeded. I think we all make good judgements about appropriate
response and action.
I think sometimes we get all too involved in the "web" of the web. We forget
our instincts when faced with the multitude of options, ideas, suggestions
and, yes, nonsense that we have to weed through on this incredible resource.

Recognition of behavior and discipline is something ( all you new teachers)
will find very quickly. At first you want not to be the "bad guy" and you
have so many things to look after in your beginning teaching, you may feel
insecure about discipline. But trust me. It only takes a short time that
you develop "eyes in the back of your head." And when you "catch" kids
doing things that they thought was behind your back, and they realize "they
ain't getting away with nothing" at least half your discipline problems go
away.

I'm always amazed in interviewing for new teachers and the principal asks
about class room management techniques. It is such a process of growth and,
especially, experience. And if we have to identify 117 behaviors with cute
little names, I don't know how I'll get through the mentoring of my new
teachers.

I'm serious and laughing at the same time.
Patty

---