More fun ways to teach elements to kinders

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 10:03:17 PDT

OK you folks got kindergarten teachers through the first day.... Even
though I do not teach kindergarten, I would like to see what you do to
teach each element to the kinders (especailly those that involve
movement --remember those learning styles?). I have to say I loved
Sandy Bacon's idea for line:

>(from Sandy) " If there is time, I introduce line. I put a dot on the
chalkboard and ask them what it is. Then I ask them what I create when
I move the dot and leave a trail. Then I have them stand up behind me
(the dot) and make a straight line. Then follow the leader around the
room making all kinds of lines...right up to the doorway to be
dismissed. You could join lines to make shapes, have all the children
wearing pink to make a pink line, etc.

I tell them that the special art word of the day is "line" and they
must
tell me what it is when they leave. We whisper it to each other --
they
think this is cool for some reason.
Draw lines to music in colored foam the next art class, and pull a
print!"

I am compiling these for our local art resource center-- they will
have the learning academy again. I would like to see ideas that
combine movement- music and hands on art (a little art history OK,
too...smile)

Thanks in advance for all of your creative ideas!

Judy Decker

---