Re: interview tomorrow 9:00am east coast time, need help in a hurry!!

---------

From: klmvisarts (klmvisarts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 06:17:03 PDT

Linda and others interviewing,
I was asked to present (at the college I attended for my graduate studies) on the fine art of interviewing. I'll look up my reference list and handout for anyone interested.

first- I'd call and ask exactly who the interview will be with. You can never assume it is just the principal, and knowing ahead of time- plus getting to memorize names!- will ease your nerves tomorrow.

second- I'd dress for the part, even if they already know you. I went on alot of interviews where people were not in suits, and I really believe that it made a difference with administrators. (Linda, I realize this probably wouldn't apply to you since you are coming from the corporate world!)

third- the portfolio is so important! You didn't say if you have any classroom experience yet. Include documentation of things you have done (lesson plans, photos, samples). If you do have this include an index. Also include some of your own work with an artist statement. Don't forget your philosophy of education. You bring a wealth of experience coming from your. Remind yourself of that as you walk in the door. Also include transcripts, testing for graduate school, certification, etc...

A three ring binder, with clear plastic sleeves, will work well.
If you purchase one with a sleeve in the front you can add a visual statement right away!

There are some questions you should be prepare to answer.
And oh so many books on interviewing in the business world that can be adapted for an educator. Linda again I know you've already been there. Just think of what the principals, teachers, or superintendent might ask. Make a list and come up with answers. Even if they don't ask one from your list the response you came up with will probably fit into the conversation elsewhere. Don't forget the mundane- classroom management, etc... And be ready to ask them a question or two, at least! Interviewing is kind of like dating (as I remember from my single days). It's good to show interest in them as well.
Best of luck!
Kerry