Re: Artist as Heroes - Chuck Close

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 13:37:33 PDT

>> From Judie: Chuck Close, who despite his tragic health problem,
> dedicated himself to his art and continues to produce some pretty
> extraordinary art.
> (more in Chuck Close Up Close - A biography written for children)
> http://www.coe.ufl.edu/faculty/lamme/book/BiographyArticles/ChuckClose
> UpClose.html
> http://www.disabled.gr/gb-arts/paint01.html (good stuff here)

I had the incredible privilege of hearing Chuck close speak at the
Philadelphia Museum of Art a few years ago. He is a MOST humble,
unassuming, unaffected person.
He talked extensively about "mark-making" and how his "marks" have evolved
as a result of his disability. His daily being is quite a struggle, but he
only talks of joy. And it is very apparent that he has used what has
happened to him to expand his world and not to wallow in any pity. Last I
saw of his most recent work, he was exploring Daguerreotypes.

I recommend the video - when his wife describes what happened- I have to
hold back tears.

Chuck Close is definitely a hero and an inspiration!

Patty

---