Video review: Horace Pippen There Will Be Peace

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 13:30:15 PDT

This Horace Pippen video is excellent-- perfect length of time for a
classroom (28 minutes long). Another quality video from the African
American Artists Series. This one was a bit different ---Letters are
read by an actor playing the part of Horace Pippen. The letters take
us through the life of Pippen -- what motivated him to paint...His
experience in WWWI (and how those memories haunted him --- why he
needed to paint them)- his injury and honorable discharge...and how he
struggled to continue painting with his disability (he had to hold up
his hand with his other hand - due to the war injury-- yet that didn't
stop him from painting. Pippen was a self taught artist (folk
artist -- outsider -- what ever term you want to use). After his
discharge from the war, he began painting by holding and moving a
panel of wood across a hot poker -- he was eventually able to hold the
hot poker -- many of his works are woodburned lines--then painted.

I was surprised that there isn't much about Pippen on the Web
anymore...Fortunately, one of my students researched him and saved
images last spring...Many of those images are no longer on the web.
I thought I would use this Pippen video in a unit about "Peace" - Tie
in some other artists, too (Edward Hicks - Peaceable Kingdom")

I have some conptempary sites on "Art about Peace" -- Can any one
think of more specific works?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Judy

---