Artist as Heroes - Chuck Close

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 07:54:13 PDT

Judie sent me Chuck Close as an artist to present. There is an
excellent Chuck Close video available too (even though it does have a
naughty word or two in it....smile) -- Chcuk Close: a Portrait in
Progress

From Judie: Chuck Close, who despite his tragic health problem,
dedicated himself to his art and continues to produce some pretty
extraordinary art.
(more in Chuck Close Up Close - A biography written for children)
http://www.coe.ufl.edu/faculty/lamme/book/BiographyArticles/ChuckClose
UpClose.html
http://www.disabled.gr/gb-arts/paint01.html (good stuff here)

Quotes:

"I've kept the image constant and manipulated the means of developing
that image. I try to keep myself interested or engaged, altering my
experience. Of all the factors that I could alter, the image is the
least interesting." ~Chuck Close

"I always tried to put in unbelievable amounts of detail and
information. If I didn't put that kind of time and energy into it, I
didn't feel like I had done my job. A commitment over a long period of
time is essential to the method of building something incrementally."
~! Chuck Close (from Ink,Paper, and Wood)

Another quote -- and links:
http://artcyclopedia.com/artists/close_chuck.html

His signature technique involves laying a grid over a photograph and
translating small individual sections of the grid onto the larger
canvas.
....Close uses seemingly improbable colors, swabbed on in ovals and
circles, to represent the value of each grid square. In some paintings
the grids are diagonal (Self-Portrait 1, 1995) or radiating (Lucas,
1987) rather than squarely oriented.

.......Close's more recent work -- a woman's face created out of
thousands of concentric circles of paint within grid squares.

"Visual Science"-- Interesting article:
http://www.psych.nyu.edu/people/faculty/pelli/Pelli1999Science/Pelli-S
cience-285-844.html (cut and paste URL - if interested)

Just don't let Chuck Close find out you are using him as an example of
a "hero"....."I think the only thing that's interesting is that I got
back to work, and is the work any good? I completely reject the notion
that I'm any kind of a hero. I've just been very lucky."
http://www.disabled.gr/gb-arts/paint01.html

Marvelous Monday!

Judy Decker

P.S. There are several "reviews" of the Chcuk Close video in the
archives....also a mention of another video:
"There's another Chuck Close video called "Blowing Up Art". It is
actually a video about grid enlarging methods, but they use him and
his
work as examples. Kinda of an old piece, but has great info."

---