Crayon Philosphy - additional quotes

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 17:50:18 PDT

Here is one quote to get you through the next school year....

"If you can find humor in anything, you can survive it."~ Bill Cosby

Just for the fun of it I searched to find the source of Woody's famous
box of crayons quote - It was posted previously to this list by at
least three people....the first day it appeared-- was about the same
time I heard it at my church.... so I will list this source first:

This is from a United Methodist Church newsletter (no date given for
it):
"Our thought for the day was, we can learn a lot from a box of
crayons. Some are dark, some are light, and some are pretty, but they
all have to live together in the same box." (notice they left out the
weird names part..smile)

An here is a post from the Kiwanis club (same as Woody's et. al.):
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: -- "We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors... but they have all learned to live in
the same box." --Anonymous

.....and maybe they got the idea from this? Or visa versa?

"While walking in a toy store, the day before today, I overheard a
crayon box with lots of things to say. "I don't like red" said yellow,
and green said "nor do I". And no one here likes orange, but no one
knows just why. So I bought that box of crayons and took it home with
me. And drew with all the colors, so the crayons could all see. That
each of us is special and everyone's unique, but it's when we get
together that the picture is complete." ~ Commercial on TV

Here is a poem by Debbie:
http://www.w3px.com/poems/2001/2001_02/week_2/pxp50144.htm
(will have to correct her spelling...but)

Seems like this quote is popular....Anonymous may want to come forward
and say "Hey- I said it first!"

And here is more crayon philosophy (one was for Woody's eyes only).

"I felt like a kid with a box of crayons. And I used all the colors."
~ Lenny Kravitz:

"Life is about using the whole box of crayons." ~ RuPaul

And here is a student's journal response to the RuPaul quote::

"And most of them have 16 colors...twice as many as a simple box of
crayons. It is the variations in the world that make life worth
living. Its about the appreciation for the differences and the
sameness that mankind share. We couldn't possible glory in the beauty
of a yellow, sunny day if we had never seen a gray and gloomy one.
Nor could we marvel at the sea foam green of the ocean if it didn't
lay against the sky blue of the Heavens. Use them all. Make things
the color that you want them... after all, no one else's opinion
matters but your own. I personally see nothing wrong with a purple
horse... and neither did my mom."

1998 article about Smith Hall:
"Diversity is not just color, and multiculturalism is a minority on
this campus. To look at us here in Smith from afar we look rather
simple, lacking a mix in color. Despite this, we are still very
culturally diverse. To look at a box of crayons, one sees hundreds of
colors and shades represented. There are reds, yellows, browns,
blacks, whites, blues, greens, and all the colors in between. However,
they are all still just crayons; different in color but not in
substance."

from Allen Klein:
"Your attitude is like a box of crayons that color your world.
Constantly color your picture gray, and your picture will always be
bleak. Try adding some bright colors to the picture by including
humor, and your picture begins to lighten up."

Now I am sure this is more than anyone wanted to know about the crayon
quote....but I have to do something while hubby and son watch the
Sopranos...

Sensational Sunday!

Judy Decker

P.S. for Jeannie-- thought these might interest you, too...You never
know when you might dream up another bulletin board.

---