Re: First Day with Kinders???

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 16:05:25 PDT

The Austin's wrote:

> Wednesday is our first day with Kinders

With parents?! 20 minutes is bad enough with just the kids! Your
description of their behavior is so universal -- it made me laugh -- and
kringe, because I will be facing them again soon! I have tried
introducing them to the art room (a little tour and description of what
and where things are), what is expected of them in the art room (arrival
and departure routine, rules), some examples of famous artists and
students' artwork, and what to expect next time they come -- ask for
feedback about rules. I thought of maybe even using a puppet this year
to help me, of course it would be a pig, because I am Mrs. Bacon!
Kinders love puppets!

If there is time, I introduce line. I put a dot on the chalkboard and
ask them what it is. Then I ask them what I create when I move the dot
and leave a trail. Then I have them stand up behind me (the dot) and
make a straight line. Then follow the leader around the room making all
kinds of lines...right up to the doorway to be dismissed. You could
join lines to make shapes, have all the children wearing pink to make a
pink line, etc.

I tell them that the special art word of the day is "line" and they must
tell me what it is when they leave. We whisper it to each other -- they
think this is cool for some reason.
slam, bam, your twenty minutes are up!

Draw lines to music in colored foam the next art class, and pull a
print!

Hope this helps,
Sandy

---