Screen printing curriculum

---------

From: Jean Eger (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 13:54:02 PDT

 Dear Robert,

Regarding context, screen printing has traditionally been used to make
posters for diverse purposes. It has also been used commercially to put
images on everything from glasses to labels. Some famous posters are those
which advertised artists' exhibitions in France, such as those Picasso made
for his exhibitions in Vallauris. Political posters are also screen
printed. The political art of the Soviet Union and Cuba is highly
developed. Here in California, there is sometimes a "call to artists" to
make posters and prints about a current political issue. The most recent
one I remember seeing was about the elimination of bilingual education in
California. Many posters were made during the Vietnam War era. Andy Warhol
was probably the most famous individual screen printer. He brought
screenprinting into the realm of fine art during the pop art movement of the
'60's, which ended the stranglehold of abstract expressionism. His art was
political insofar as it commented on and challenged copyright law.

(Reference POSTERS: A CONCISE HISTORY by John Barnicoat, Thames and Hudson,
1972, Singapore; GRAPHIC AGITATION: SOCIAL AND POLITICAL GRAPHICS SINCE THE
SIXTIES, by Liz McQuiston, Phaidon, 1993, London; TWENTIETH CENTURY POSTERS:
CHAGALL/BRAQUE/PICASSO/DUFY/MATISSE/MIRO, LEGER, by Fernand Mourlot,
Wellfleet, 1989, Seacaucus, NJ; THE POSTERS OF GLASNOST AND PERESTROIKA, by
Alexander Yegerov, Penguin Books, 1989, London.)

So, if one is educating for democracy, the ability to communicate ideas via
poster art is an important resource which should be available to our
students. The freedom of expression of ideas with images fits in with the
California standards. I am not so familiar with the national standards.

I myself made posters when I was in elementary school I think we made
posters about such things as care packages and tooth brushing. When I see
an area with no messages on the walls, no handbills, no fliers, no posters,
I get worried. It should be part of every curriculum in a democracy.

Jean Eger Womack

>I would like your assistance in developing context and units of study for
an introductory printmaking class that emphasizes screen printing
techniques.

---