re: First Day with Kinders??

---------

From: Linda Erling-Baker (beartsmart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 11:08:42 PDT

Here in the northeast fall is beautiful, so we make autumn trees. We
work with scissors skills, I tell them about using them safely and the
"scissors rule".... Scissors belong on the table when not cutting, not
to wave them around, point them at anyone, keep them out of your mouth
(I was surprised how many kids will do this if they are not told!) and
only cut their own paper. Then I give them a 6 x 9 piece of brown
const. paper and demonstrate cutting it into a long triangle shape. We
use glue, again I show them how to use it - and have them count to
themselves 6 dabs on the tree trunk. After that, I show them how to cut
shapes out of red, yellow and orange paper - pretty much let them cut
these anyway they want and glue (1 dab only) onto tree and some that
have fallen on the ground. I have them for 1/2 hr and all finish in time
to take them home. Since some finish early, I always keep a stack of
manilla paper and crayons on one end of the cupboard and they may draw
whatever they like. Maybe you could get the parents involved in the
project too and you may feel more relaxed.

Linda

---