Re: artist's statement

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 07:40:32 PDT

My Art II students write a short paragraph and my Art III students have to
type a page about their artist statement. I encourage students to look at
several other artists’ statements on the Internet give them 2 examples from
professional artists. I use the following questions as a starting point:
· What is YOUR definition of art?
· Why do you create art?
· Why do you work in the subject matter you work most in?
· How did you first become interested in this subject matter?
· What does subject matter personally mean to you?
· What medium do you enjoy working in the most and why?
· What do you want the viewer to “get” out of your artwork?
· What other artists and cultures inspire you?

Michelle H. Harrell
http://harrell.srhs.net
Southeast Raleigh High School
Center for Acceralerated Studies
Raleigh, NC

Lydia de Toledo wrote: "I would like my independent studiers to write
artist's statements for their pieces. What guidelines or advice do you give
students who have not done this before?"