Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Celebrate Diversity! (Thanks Woody)

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 07:18:00 PDT

> "We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty,
> some are dull, some have weird names. All are different colors, but
> they all have to learn to live in the same box."
> I remember in my schooling we were a "melting pot" -- all of the
> crayons were supposed to mix together and make one muddy color

Sometimes I fail to appreciate the broad diversity of the community I teach
in. On occasion a student comments on someone not being the correct shade
of brown (not too often anymore). I just tell them that it's my job to teach
them how to mix a wide variety of browns. We mix blue and orange and
white to see what comes out. I guess I teach sex ed and didn't realize it.
There are very few problems among the various races and cultures in my
little United Nations that I teach in. Well, two more years and I move
to New
Mexico, the most diverse state in the country. One more white bread for
Albuquerque, well Fran is third generation Polish I guess she can pass
white. In the New Mexico sunshine she will brown up real fast.
                                                        Woody in KC

                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on
 my watercolors are at