Celebrate Diversity! (Thanks Woody)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 06:42:56 PDT

I was too lazy to hunt up the quote that appeared on this list (last
summer or fall). Thanks Woody for posting it to your site. Below is
the quote. (Woody's student work
http://www.taospaint.com/CrayonQuote.html )

"We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty,
some are dull, some have weird names. All are different colors, but
they all have to learn to live in the same box."

I remember in my schooling we were a "melting pot" -- all of the
crayons were supposed to mix together and make one muddy color I
guess. Bunki was right, I do a lot of cultural stuff -- because it
does fit in with the core curriculum/interdisciplinary--but it also
gives me an opportunity to CELEBRATE DIVERSITY in our
country/community/school. I still get quite a few students who make
fun of those who are different. Much of my first trimester for my
seventh graders will be on Mexican art (and pre-Columbian to tie in
with the core social studies). I will have two Mexican students in my
class -- They will be the stars. Last year, I had these two students
during my African art units. My 7th grades will do a homework
assignment of Heroes of Mexican (Mexican American) heritage.

I added the quote to my Web site, too.

Sensational Sunday!

Judy Decker

---