Patty's questions of standards.......

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 14:30:34 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

From: Patricia Knott <pknott@enter.net>

HI, Patty...You ask some interesting questions and make some interesting
comments.

        ....that administrations fall for the latest and newest buzz
words...
And nobody will listen when you say this is what I already do.

Yep. We all know that old "bait and switch" routine....this is what we've
done in the past and, lordy, THIS is something NEW we're gonna do now. Same
thing/new name. Let's document our change with worthless paper and time.
From top on down...politicians, BOE, parents, admins....right on down to us
worms who have to do the busy dirt turnin' and further down to the bottom
rung of students who recognize in an instant it's the same old/same old.

Every day our youngsters are bombarded with images that they have no idea
how to decipher.

Nor wouldn't I rule out "adults" either.

I wonder if there are not some new standards that we need to consider in our
art teaching? Do we need to make some reconsideration ?
       what do I want the student leaving my class knowing? especially if it
may be the last art class he/she ever takes.
If we all ask that question, maybe we can come to some standards that are
relevant.

I think this idea is something we ALL think about quite often but herein
lies the problem....there are as many standard ideals as there are art
teachers and each one of us has a diff. perspective of what standards should
be...depending on what baggage you carry. By baggage I mean influences of
people/places/things/events/education. I might feel drawing skills are the
most important, you might find your AP self-awareness goal more important.
Judy D. might find her goal to be integrated with core subjects her main
target, Carolyn might feel technology is the way to lead. Some might
struggle with process/project goals. It's all in the eye of the beholder so
finding relevant standards means...finding what's relevant "to you".
Therefore, this will always be a problem if we also want to teach
individuality/creativity and still try to come to some agreement of relevant
standards. Sooooo...it's a catch 22. And it frustrating. Toodles....Bunki

---