fundraising for elementary......

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 11:57:20 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Susan Holland" <Susan_Holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu>
> I am toying with the idea of a silent auction of student work as a fundraiser.
> If you have ever done this, I would like to hear about logistics and
> considerations.

*************************

I don't know the logistics of doing this but I thought I'd tell you what is
done in our large community annually. Remember....we don't have elementary
art in our local districts so our business leader community has taken on
part of this task themselves.

Each year artwork is chosen from elementary classrooms....maybe one piece
from each grade room in each school. Out of these, maybe one is chosen at
each grade for each school. These are taken to various frame/gallery shops
by the coordinator and for free the frame shops will frame each piece. There
is ALOT of advertising for these frame shops to do this and it's worth their
investment. Their frame shop name goes on the ingraved plaque along with the
artist's name.

These framed pieces are now taken to a huge, fabulous luncheon in Marriot's
ballroom where all the business members dine and then bid on these artworks
for their personal or business use. When framed, the artwork really shines
and looks professional. To make a long story shorter, these paintings go for
anywhere from $800 to over $4000 EACH...BIG BUCKS!

The children who win are excited, have pictures taken, newpaper articles,
etc. but ALL the money goes to all the elementary schools for art materials.
Now there is no art teacher at any of these schools so it goes to the grade
level teachers to purchase the art supplies....but at least there's $$$ for
them to use.

The high schools and middle schools were included the first two years (I
know because one of my students won and I was invited to the luncheon with
her) and it was a big deal! I couldn't believe the $$$ being tossed at these
paintings during the bidding. There were like 400 business leaders wanting
to purchase these artpieces. The children who won, their parents, and their
teachers were also included in the luncheon. And, yes, my student's winnings
went to the elementary program also.

After the first two years they decided to delete the high/middle schools as
we have our own art programs...which is only fair. I must tell you it was an
experience worth savoring for any teacher of the arts. The auctions have
been going on for about 10 years. Toodles...Bunki

---