Animals in Art - Lesson Plans

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 11:38:03 PDT

My lesson plan link for the Getty Animals in Art was broken so I got
to searching (just for the fun of it). Below are some of the
interesting lessons I found for Animals in Art-- glad to know the
Getty ones are still online (there are lots more out there, too).
Maybe folks will want to post their favorite lessons for Animals in
Art? -- A good theme for grades K thru 8 anyway. The elephant and fish
are two symbols I use for me (somehow I will combine the two in my
spirit mask)...I like what they mean to other people, too. In doing
animal symbolism - you will find that an animal may have a positive
meaning in one culture -- and a negative one for another culture. I
let my students apply their own meanings to the animals (they write
about what the animal means to them).
I am thinking about trying Mark Alexander's paper mache masks this
fall -- If they don't come out half as good as the ones Mark's 7th
graders did I may be too embarassed to post them (hope Mark gets his
seventh grade ones up soon so all can see them). My kids will have to
go to the "school" of their choice to learn how to move like their
"spirit animal" (remember the Ape School? - Planet of the Apes)-- Hey
I might even have them make sounds of their animals --who knows?

Lesson plans
http://www.shs.nebo.edu/museum/swap/animalscontent.html
http://www.shs.nebo.edu/museum/swap/animalsdavis.html

Curriculum
http://www.artsmia.org/animals/intro.html
http://www.artsmia.org/animals/animals_activities.html

Getty Lesson Plans - Looking and Learning
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Look/Animals/
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Look/Animals/ntan.html
(elephant)
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Look/Animals/elephant.html