Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Animals in Art- Animal Symbolism Links

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 09:58:09 PDT

I introduce animals in art - animal symbolism with each trimester of
6th graders. This is a subject that bridges most cultures and most
religions (so it is safe to talk about beliefs -- I do stay away from
the "pagan" sites with kids - but do want students to have respect for
Native American beliefs). Below are a collection of links I have
found. Please post any addtional links you may have found for other
cultures (I have plenty for Native American). I will eventually create
a web page with all of these (including more information about each
site). Thanks in advance...Judy Decker

The dove is a universal symbol of peace and innocence.
In ancient Greek myth it was a bird of Athene which represented the
renewal of life.......You can see more versions of this symbol at our
Peace Pix page.

The Bestiary (Christian and other religions)
Additional Christian symbols
Aberdeen Bestiary

Ancient Egypt

Chinese - animal symbols

Assyria: Study of symbols

Slides- PowerPoint

Native American Folk Lore
Wisdom of the Animals

Animal symbols in art

Chinese Art - animal symbols

Animal folklore:
Animal Symbols in art- (article)
Native American - Powerful Symbols
Native American Animal and Bird Totems:
Native American Animal totems:
Exploring Totem Poles
Pre-Columbian Art:
Plains Indians symbolism
Zuni Indians
Native American (additional ones)
More at :

Native American - Totem Poles
In Native American Culture and Mythology each animal represents a
different quality or way of life. Gives a partial list of those
animals and that qualities that they represent.