To Sharon from Andy

---------

From: Andy (addphan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 10:20:41 PDT

hi sharon

thanks a lot for your comments re: my class website...it's nice to hear
such feedback from you and others(like bunki)...we all need to hear these
things from time to time. i mentioned to bunki(i'm not sure i sent it
correctly, but...)that my principal doesn't do a whole lot of
communicating and really doesn't know anything that my students are doing,
so to have this listserv is a real morale booster. anyway, you had a
couple of questions about specific projects i do.

negative
paintings:http://www.lcusd.net/lchs/adiconti/negative_painting.htm

i arranged several (i believe six) wooden manikins(12") on a table. i then
used a slide projector light to shine through the manikins which would
project the cast image on the screen. i instructed the students to draw
only the white shapes. we did a couple as a class. they were instructed
not to copy any of the cast(black) images. this required lots of
discipline. prior to this lesson, they were taught about the betty edwards
teachings re: right-brain drawing and this lesson sort of reinforces that.
after the negative shapes were drawn, the kids had to paint the the
negative shapes using a monochromatic color scheme. the manikens were then
painted black to serve as a contrast. i think the outcome was pretty good.

hope that helps
andy di conti--7th grade art
la caņada high school 7/8
la caņada, calif.