Vertical Teaming defined

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 08:04:53 PDT

I was just curious to see if I understood "Vertical Teaming"
http://www.palomar.edu/gearup/gear/VT/vtpage3.htm
This is the first link I clicked on....describes it pretty simply.
(Well....I just looked in the archives -- I like Woody's definition
better)

Another term for this is "Curriculum mapping" - very similar
concept....
and here is a whopper I ran across in the 1980's: "Cross curricular
continuum" --
That is the term that got me interested in interdisciplinary
units....so I guess I was ahead of some folks - My philosophy in
interdisciplinary units is what got me a job in my district in 1991
(that is the same year our district went DBAE -- so I knew all about
that too).

I ran across another term in my Integrated Curriculum class at
Bluffton in 1998....don't recall that one now....Like Woody
said...another term by the gurus of education.

For anyone out there interested-- With most of us on e-mail at
school--Vertical Teaming should not be all that difficult. I do my
"Yearplan" every year and share with staff...it doesn't have to be in
great detail and you do not need to be "etched in stone" -- I do sway
from my yearplan -- we have to. I have my yearplan in a Word file if
anyone is interested.
http://elms.elida.k12.oh.us/~jdecker/yearplan.htm
(I posted the school server so you could see how I added the lesson
plans as I went along-- I didn't keep the WCOIL one up to date).

One thing I would NOT recommend doing is limiting certain artists to
certain grade levels. With all of our own money that is spent on
visual resources--you would have a "fight" on your hands. I had a high
school teacher tell me in 1997 I couldn't do Pop Art (specifically
Andy Warhol -- there were others she said I could use) because that
was her unit. Care to know how much of my own money I have spent on
Warhol resources over the years? Funny thing? I don't do Andy Warhol
now as a main unit (I found I didn't like his "character" last
summer) -- but I still show his work when I do Pop Art.

Judy Decker

---