Re: Anyone with experience seeing 6th grade 2-3 xs aweek?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 05:46:52 PDT

Christine,
        Please explain your schedule, and how was it structured last
year ? What was the 6th graders art like before ?

Casart9197@aol.com wrote:
> My district is changing over to the "middle school model"

There are many, many models of so called middle schools

> And I will be there 2 pds a day,
> but w/ classes alternating- a m,w,fr track and a tues, thurs track.

How long are your class periods ? Most schools go to alternating
schedules for "blocks" so that classes will be longer, with only
half the classes meeting on any given day.

> That way they can get me to cover 4 sections over the course of the year.

Do you have 9 weeks of 45 min classes, or 9 weeks of 90 min classes ?

> I have taught 6 th grade for 7 yrs now.
> My question is for anyone who sees their 6th graders 2xs a wk- about
> how many projects do you manage to finish by the end of the school year?

I have always been an advocate of block scheduling so I could have longer
periods and be able to teach differently. ie: Introduce a lesson, demonstrate
and motivate, time for work and clean up with time for meaningful closure.
I still teach daily 42 min periods. Every proposal for block so far has been
just to get more course titles squeezed in rather than more time to teach.
                                                                Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com