Re: AP studio art - concentrations

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 18:29:03 PDT

In a message dated 08/10/2001 10:15:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dmortl@hotmail.com writes:

> SOmeone mentioned "abstract", but I thought that was so broad - aren't they

I have had many student go through the A.P. program and the hardest thing is
descried on a concentration project. This has been difficult because the
kids want to do general subjects rather than specific themes. 12 to 16
images from a magazine will not pass. Content is important and showing some
growth or change during the process of doing the concentration is great.
Most of my students change the nature of the concentration as they go. This
is usually because they have been exploring a subject or a technique and they
get pulled into something else. This is exactly what judges like to see,
because it shows growth and a result from the research.

Here are some of the concentrations from my last year that got 5's

Dan Kent- New York school of art in the 30's to 50's. Picked artist he liked
and did works in the style of that artist without any duplication of any
work. This was strictly his own interpretation of their styles and unique
works.

Jessica Savage-Women who have had a hard life, terrorized, lonely, poverty,
ethnic differences. Each was done in different media and using 5 modes of
design.

Stephanie Williams did 12 themes from something in the bible. I cn't
remember the exact name for it but they were definate theme and she
interpreted them with her own imagery and using different media.

Jacob Blaze-Things that are made with, have, look like, resemble circles.
Many objects designs, letters, etc. This was very good and had lots of ideas
once he got going.

Emily Lott- Self portraits using several artists styles or ism's. Many
different art Ism's including, Surrealism, Impressionism, Cubism, Realism,
Expressionism, Fauvism, super realism.

Others in the past have been,
Fasteners
Pathways
Indians of Columbia
Life in and around Monteray Bay
Icons of the 60's, 50's etc.
Sounds
People in my life
Hunter and prey
Flowers done in 14 different media
2-3 project concerning the 5 modes of design
There are more but I can't think of them now.

Ken Schwab

---